Students to Careers
Mid-MO AHEC partners with communities to “grow their own” future providers with several strategies:
ACES is a comprehensive program that includes:
- hands-on enrichment workshops
- online learning modules
- service-learning projects
- job shadowing and/or volunteering in health facilities
- a comprehensive individual career plan that enables high school and undergraduate students to demonstrate a portfolio for health professions training that will set them apart
- membership in Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA)
This program begins with students in grades 9-12 who display a strong interest in pursuing a career in healthcare. Click here for more information.
Jumpstart Your Health Career
Mid-Missouri AHEC wants to help you to “Jumpstart Your Health Career.” Join us for a workshop day exploring the health careers at Phelps County Regional Medical Center. When you leave, you’ll have a perspective on how to:
- conduct basic patient assessments,
- avoid spreading infection,
- protect patient information, and
- how local health care providers made their career journey from high school to health professional
- access to an on-line health science course that you can complete on your own at a location and time convenient for you
This workshop serves as the pre-requisite for applying to our selective ACES program.
Healthcare job shadowing gives individuals the opportunity to observe first-hand the day-to-day activities of healthcare professionals. Participants will gain awareness of the academic, technical and personal skills required in various healthcare professions. Critical connections between school, work, and goal attainment will be more fully understood. For more information about shadowing at Phelps County Regional Medical Center click here.
Health Careers Exploration in the Classroom
Staff will come to your classroom to conduct interactive presentations for junior, middle and high school classes or undergraduate clubs. Sessions include information on academic opportunities, health careers, and financial aid sources. Contact our office to schedule a presentation for your school.
HOSA: Future Health Professionals
HOSA provides a unique program of leadership, development, motivation, and recognition. HOSA is 100% health care. The mission is to enhance the delivery of compassionate, quality health care by providing opportunities for knowledge, skill and leadership development of all health science technology education students, therefore, helping students to meet the needs of the health care community.